Thursday, July 28, 2011

Broccoli Spinach Balls

I made these broccoli and spinach balls last week to take to our neighbor's house for dinner.  The original recipe is just for spinach balls but I did half and half.  They were really good but there are definitely some changes I would make to the recipe.  The recipe calls for 6 eggs.  I used five but I think you could get away with using four eggs. Also it calls for a stick of butter but HALF of a stick would be plenty. Finally I added bread crumbs until the mixture became thick enough to "roll" into balls. The recipe I am posting below will reflect the changes I would make if I made these again. The original recipe came from The Curvy Carrot.


Spinach and Broccoli Bites

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped (I used minced onion)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 10-ounces packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 10 ounce package of broccoli thawed
8-ounces stuffing mix
4 large eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Melt the butter over medium heat in a pan, add the onion and cook til translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Make sure all of the water is removed from the broccoli and spinach. Combine the stuffing mix, spinach, broccoli, eggs, Parmesan, salt and pepper, and onion/garlic mixture. Combine well. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll the mixture into individual 1-inch balls. Place each one on the parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake the balls for about 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment